Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Firearms Instructor
Experience:  Firearms instructor, 40 years experience with firearms.

I have a Marlin .22 cal Rifle Model 39, Lever action octagon

I have a Marlin .22 cal Rifle Model 39, Lever action octagon barrel Serial Number 9220. It belonged to my grandfather, and was left to me. Could you tell me how old it is and the current value of the Rifle? Thank You.
Category: Firearms
Expert:  Philip Van Cleave replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer!

The Marlin Model 39 was introduced in 1922 and manufactured until 1938, is chambered for the .22 rimfire, has a 24 inch octagonal barrel and has a takedown receiver. It has a full-length magazine tube that can hold 25 Short, 20 Long, or 18 Long Rifle cartridges. The receiver, lever, and hammer are case colored, the barrel is blued. The stock has a pistol grip and has a steel-capped forearm of varnished walnut.

Model 39s with a "star" on their tang were considered high grade guns by the factory inspector and command a premium in better condition guns.

NOTE: Model 39s made prior to 1932 have no prefix or an "S" prefix on the serial number. While those guns have superior workmanship, they should NOT be shot with high-speed ammunition. The prefix HS indicates the rifle has an improved bolt that can handle high-speed ammunition.

Blue Book values (what a dealer would offer you, add around 20% for retail values):

Excellent: $4,000
Very Good: $2,500-$3,000
Good: $1,600-$2,100

I hope this helps. If you are satisfied with my answer, please click the "accept" button. Thanks!