TOM308
TOM308, Gunsmith
Experience:  16 YRS EXPERIENCE, LAW ENFORCEMENT ARMORER
47830436

I have a Dan Wesson .357 Mag and am trying to find the value

I have a Dan Wesson .357 Mag and am trying to find the value of this gun. The SN# XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Firearms
Expert:  TOM308 replied 2 years ago.

The Dan Wesson revolver chambered for the 357 Magnum can have barrel lengths of 2.5", 4", 6", 8", or 10". It is a stainless steel 6 shot with a full length ejector shroud. The Blue Book values are:

100%98%95%90%80%70%60%
$625$550$475$425$375$325$275

Add $50 for 4 in., $90 for 6 in., $150 for 8 in., or $190 for 10 in. barrel.

Add 20% to 30% to the Blue Book values for retail prices.

I hope this helps you,

Tom

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The gun is black and does not appear to be stainless it also has a wood grain handle with the DW initals on it
Expert:  TOM308 replied 2 years ago.

There are 2 different companies, Is it a Wesson Firearms Co. or a Dan Wesson firearms?

Tom

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is Dan Wesson Arms .357 Magnum CTG and the SN# XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  TOM308 replied 2 years ago.

Does it have an exposed or recessed barrel nut, fixed or adjustable sights and what would make it easier, is there a model number on it?

Tom

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do not see an exposed barrel nut and the sights are definetly fixed. It almost appears that the barrel is screwed into the body.There is no model #
Expert:  TOM308 replied 2 years ago.

There are a couple of possibilities for your gun. 1 with fixed sights and a fixed barrel with a satin blue finish and the other has a high polished bright blue.

The satin finished gun has a 2.5" or 4" barrel and the following Blue Book values:

100%98%95%90%80%70%60%
$225$175$150$140$130$120$110

The high polished blue can have a 3, 4, 5, or 6" barrel. Blue Book values are:

100%98%95%90%80%70%60%
$270$220$190$175$150$125$110

Tom

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The barrel on this gun is 13/4 inches which would make it snub nose , how does that change the value?
Expert:  TOM308 replied 2 years ago.

The barrel is measured through the receiver to the cylinder. That should make it about 2.5".

Tom

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This gun is in very good shape what would your ballpark price to be,Im looking to do a tade in
Expert:  TOM308 replied 2 years ago.

I would hold out for $200, maybe a little more. You would do much better listing it on auction arms or gunbroker. Auction prices on revolvers seem to go about 50% more than a trade in.

Tom

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much for that answer that is very helpful .Tom I also have a .22 caliber H&R nine shot revolver that is some years old do you think it is worth much

Expert:  TOM308 replied 2 years ago.

An H&R revolver like the Model 949 Double Action 9 shot 22 has the following Blue Book values:

00%98%95%90%80%70%60%
$195$175$150$125$110$95$85

On a trade in, don't expect more than $75 to $100.

Tom

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Tom for all your help tonight it helps alot.Hope you and your family have a very good new year.Thanks again......Jeff
Expert:  TOM308 replied 2 years ago.

You're welcome and thank you,

Good luck with them,

Tom

TOM308, Gunsmith
Experience: 16 YRS EXPERIENCE, LAW ENFORCEMENT ARMORER