TOM308
TOM308, Gunsmith
Experience:  15 YRS EXPERIENCE, LAW ENFORCEMENT ARMORER
47830436

I found a Remington Model 4 Rolling Block single shot .22 in

I found a Remington Model 4 Rolling Block single shot .22 in a case while cleaning out my grandfathers attic. I am no expert on antiques but I know a little bit. Here is the gun info :

Stamped on the octagon barrel :
Serial # XXXXX
.22 Short or Long
Remington TradeMark
Model 4
Remington Arms - Union Metallic Cartridge Co.
Remington Works Lion, New York, U.S.A.

Barrel Length - 22 1/2. Overall gun length - End of stock to end of Barrel 37".
Overall condition of the gun by the NRA description I would say is very good to fine.
It appears to be unalteared in anyway the wood is in very good shape no cracks major scratches or anything like that. Some petina on the barrel. Standard fixed sights and the action seems to work fine. I was wandering when it was manufactured and a ball park value. I understand you can not be to precise without actually viewing the gun.

Thanks Tim
Category: Firearms
Expert:  TOM308 replied 2 years ago.

There were approximately 350,000 Number 4 Rolling Blocks produced between 1890 and 1933. I believe you gun was manufactured in 1923. Look on the left side of the barrel near the receiver for a 2 or 3 letter code. Any Remington made after 1920 has the date code on it.

The No. 4 was chambered for the 22 rimfire, 25 Stevens and the 32 short or long rimfire. An octagon 22.5" barrel was standard and a round barrel was an option on late guns. The barrel is blued with a case colored frame and a walnut stock. Early guns were solid frame. In 1901 a takedown version was introduced that used a lever for takedown. Around 1924 a screw replaced the lever to takedown the gun. The Blue Book values for your gun are:

100%98%95%90%80%70%60%50%40%30%20%10%
N/A$1,500$1,300$1,000$700$600$500$450$400$375$300$250

Add 20% to 30% to the Blue Book values for retail prices.

I hope this helps you,

Tom

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I like the answer Tom. I just am trying to understand the take down description. The gun has a lever that you can move to take it apart into two sections is that what a take down means? Sorry I didnt mention that in the description earlier. I also looked closely at the left side for a code there is none does this mean it was made before 1920?

Thanks Tim

Expert:  TOM308 replied 2 years ago.

The lever to take the gun apart is the takedown lever. I am pretty sure the WP at the end of the serial number is XXXXX date code and that would make it September of 1923. I am not 100% positive, but I don't know of any other reason for it. It was made before 1924 when the lever was changed to a screw.

Tom

TOM308, Gunsmith
Experience: 15 YRS EXPERIENCE, LAW ENFORCEMENT ARMORER