TOM308
TOM308, Gunsmith
Experience:  15 YRS EXPERIENCE, LAW ENFORCEMENT ARMORER

what is the value of a stevens model 55 .22cal rifle

Customer Question

Category: Firearms
Expert:  TOM308 replied 2 years ago.

The Model 55 is one of Stevens "Ideal Ladies Models". It is chambered for the smaller rimfire cartridges between 22 Short and 32 Long rimfire. It has a 24" or 26" part octagonal barrel with a vernier tang sight. The finish is blued and case colored with a checkered walnut pistol grip stock with a Swiss style buttplate. Values from the 2011 Standard Catalog of Firearms are:

excellent-$6500, very good-$5000, good-$3500, fair-$2000, poor-$1000.

I hope this helps you,

Tom

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My gun has a round barrel and does not have a checkered walnut pistol grip stock. It has a "normal" trigger.
Expert:  TOM308 replied 2 years ago.

I can only go by what the books tell me. It is supposed to have a normal trigger. Believe it or not, the Model 55 is the lowest price rifle of all of the models in the 50's. Following is a picture of the Model 54 which is almost identical to the 55.

.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just looked at the catalog again and I think what I have is a boys no.23,there's a 23 in a circle stamped on the barrel .Page 1107 or 08.I noticed they have model #s then it just says no. in the catalog so maybe thats a version of a model? It says model 55 on the barrel but its nothing like the no.55 or 54 you've shown me. Thanks for the help, blame the catalog.
Expert:  TOM308 replied 2 years ago.

I found some listings for a Model 050, 053 and 054. There was not an 055, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. I also did an online search and it came up with a Model 55 bolt action single shot with a standard rifle stock. The pictures are like any other rifle you would see, not fancy at all. If you have the Model 23 "Sure Shot", the values are still pretty good. It has a 20" round barrel that pivots to the right to load it.I guess you have the Standard Catalog, in case it is not up to date, the values are:

excellent-$2600, very good-$2200, good-$1400, fair-$1000, poor-$600

Tom

The 23 is not listed in the Blue Book either.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well looks like I've got the Model 55 you found, single shot bolt. I tried a search with no success,where did you find it?
Expert:  TOM308 replied 2 years ago.
TOM308, Gunsmith
Experience: 15 YRS EXPERIENCE, LAW ENFORCEMENT ARMORER
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Wow from $6000 to $125 and mine dosen't even have a scope.It was my fathers and I can remember firing it was I was 8-10 years old,I'm 63, so I thought just by age it would be worth something.Guess not.Thanks for your help, have a Merry Christmas.
Expert:  TOM308 replied 2 years ago.

Sorry, the values are out of my control, It would be nice to have one of the other model 55's. Merry Christmas,

Thanks,

Tom