Bill
Bill, Gunsmith
Experience:  40 yrs. experience as master machinist/tool and die maker and gunsmith. I own and operate a tool and die shop and custom gunsmithing/gunmaking shop.
9353784

COLT"S PT F.A. MFG.CO.HARTFORD CT.U.S.A.PATENTED AUG. 5,1884

COLT"S PT F.A. MFG.CO.HARTFORD CT.U.S.A.PATENTED AUG. 5,1884 NOV.6.88,MAR. 5,95 on barrel. COLT.D.A. 38 below dates. When you swing out cylinder there is 8 over a 289 stamped on the frame. There is also a 89 stamped on the cylinder release button. On the bottom of the butt there is a 116 over a 632 stamped. It has black plastic grips with COLT Written on the tops of them. Overall in pretty good shape with very little pitting and the blueing not too bad. Any idea of the date, caliber or value of this pistol? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Firearms
Expert:  Bill replied 4 years ago.
Hi, my name isXXXXX would be glad to help you any way that I can by answering your question to the best of my ability.
I believe what you have is the Model 1889 Navy-Martial Model.
The 1889 Navy is an important model from an historical standpoint as it was the first double-action revolver Colt manufactured with a swing-out cylinder. They produced 31,000 of them between 1889 and 1894. The Model 1889 is chambered for the .38 Colt. The cylinder holds 6 shots. This variation has the 6" barrel; and the finish was blued finish only. The grips are checkered hard rubber with the "Rampant Colt" in an oval molded into them. The patent dates 1884 and 1888 as well as the 1895 appear in the barrel marking, and the serial numbers are stamped on the butt. Most of the Navy models were altered at the Colt factory to add the Model 1895 improvements.
Exc.: $9000, Vgood: $5000, Good: $2500, Fair: $1000
This information was taken from the 2011 Standard Catalog of Firearms.