TOM308
TOM308, Gunsmith
Experience:  15 YRS EXPERIENCE, LAW ENFORCEMENT ARMORER
47830436

Value of Colt. D.A. 38, Model Number 161194, Fair to Good condition

Value of Colt. D.A. 38, Model Number 161194, Fair to Good condition with hammer spring not working.
Category: Firearms
Expert:  TOM308 replied 2 years ago.

The number you gave is the serial number. Do you know which model it is? Which 38 cartridge is it, the 38 Colt, 38 Special, 38 S&W?

Tom

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am not sure, but believe it to be a Dragoon series, possible Pocket model, Patent date September 19, 1876. Six cylinder 4 inch barrel, 1 3/8 cylinder size.
Expert:  TOM308 replied 2 years ago.

The Dragoon series were all 44 caliber and the highest serial number is XXXXX They were made in the 1840's and 1850's. All of the Pocket and Navy models were made in 36 caliber or smaller except for the 1865 which has a 5 shot cylinder. The New Line series were made in 38 caliber but all are 5 shot. The earliest 38 caliber with a 6 shot cylinder that I can find is the 1877 Lightning. It was available with 1 1/2", 2", 2 1/2", 3", 3 1/2", 4", 4 1/2", or 6" barrels without an ejector and 4 1/2", 5", 6", 7", or 7 1/2" barrels with an ejector. It is a double action with long cylinder fluting, and a blue finish with a case hardened frame and hammer. Nickel plating was also available. It was made from 1887 to 1919. The Blue Book values are:

100%98%95%90%80%70%60%50%40%30%20%10%
$4,000$3,000$2,000$1,700$1,500$1,000$900$775$700$650$575$475

Long, knurled cylinder pins will bring a 10%-15% premium, depending on condition.
Also, an etched barrel will command a 10%-15% over a roll marked barrel, depending on condition.

Add 20% to 30% to the Blue Book values for retail prices.

I hope this helps you,

Tom

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tom, I'm sorry, but I think it's a Single Action 5 shell. Because the cylinder does not move because of the broken spring, it was difficult to make an absolute count. A pawnshop checked into the gun and said not to insure it for less than $12,000.oo. I don' know where thet came up with this, but they seemed genuinely excited. It does look like it has a spring ejector just under the barrel. What do you think? I really appreciate your help. I have another Colt Single in better shape, but I'll need you're input after some idea on this one. Thanks, Roger
Expert:  TOM308 replied 2 years ago.

It would have to have been made after the patent date which is 1876. The only other that it could be is the 2nd Model New Line Series. The values are much less, about 75% less than the Lightning.

Can you attach a picture of the gun? It will be much easier if I can match it a picture from one of my books. Use the paperclip icon on the toolbar or you can try copying and pasting it to a reply.

Tom

Expert:  TOM308 replied 2 years ago.

Does it look like the following guns?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It definitely looks like the bottom picture.
Expert:  TOM308 replied 2 years ago.

It is the 1877 Lightning that I quoted values on. I use the online version of the Blue Book which is updated weekly. The values given are current. There are a few listed on Rock Island Auctions which is the premier firearms auction house. The predicted sale prices range from $2500 to $5500 depending on the condition.

I hope this helps you,

Tom

TOM308, Gunsmith
Experience: 15 YRS EXPERIENCE, LAW ENFORCEMENT ARMORER