Bill
Bill, Gunsmith
Experience:  40 yrs. experience as master machinist/tool and die maker and gunsmith. I own and operate a tool and die shop and custom gunsmithing/gunmaking shop.

I have a Nikko Golden Eagle bolt action in 7mm mag. I had a

I have a Nikko Golden Eagle bolt action in 7mm mag. I had a total case separation with the belted case head coming out and the rest of the case sticking in the chamber. Is there a special tool to remove this? Will the barrel have to come off? There appears to be two bulges going in to the case around the shoulder area of the case.
Category: Firearms
Expert:  Bill replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name isXXXXX would be glad to help you any way that I can by answering your question to the best of my ability.
That is a ticklish endeavor indeed. Although the barrel would not have to come off to get it out, It should be taken off just to check out the chamber and the headspace once it is re-installed. As easy as it is to remove and replace the barrel, that is how I would do it. The head space definitely needs to be checked. The chamber should be lightly polished while it is out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm still not sure how to grab onto the case even with the bbl off. I dont' want to scar the chamber trying to pry or tap the case in so I can catch it with needle nose pliers or something.
Expert:  Bill replied 2 years ago.
You should put it in the lathe and use a lathe tool to grab it and pull it out. There are all kinds of ways to get it out.
The most important thing is that it does not do it again. You should probably take it to a capable gunsmith with equipment and let him get the stuck case out and put the rifle back together. Make sure he polishes the chamber and checks the headspace. I would only charge you around $75 to do that.
Please don't be offended that I told you to take it to a gunsmith. The fact is that a qualified gunsmith is very comfortable doing this and it should not even be a chore. He will be able to see things that you might miss while taking out the damaged brass, and reasons why it happened in the first place. Sometimes if you miss a small clue it can be very hard to tell exactly what happened.
Thanks,
Bill
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not offended at all. Gunsmith is where it will be going. I am still kind of concerned about the dimples around the neck area. I think the problem might have come from reloading the brass too many times. I did an outside inspection but did not run a pick on the inside to feel for rough spot that may have tipped me off to possible separation coming my way. I will probably dispose of this lot of brass and start with new. I will do a better job of inspecting brass before I reload them. Thank you for your help. I am new at this site. Is the $30 for this conversation and do I accept your last answer to pay or do I need to accept each answer. And please don't take offense but I don't believe it was worth $30 per answer. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions but I am on a budget and will still have the cost of the gunsmith.
Expert:  Bill replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX understand. There is only one $30 charge for the question and all the replies you need to get your answer. Just accept any one of my answers, even this one and it will work fine. Thanks for asking, BTW. Keep an eye out on your Remington brass. It seems to be a bit harder and will crack like that before the other brass makers.

Thank you,
Bill
Bill, Gunsmith
Experience: 40 yrs. experience as master machinist/tool and die maker and gunsmith. I own and operate a tool and die shop and custom gunsmithing/gunmaking shop.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Bill, just to let you know, I am trying to give you positive feedback but my screen froze. I will keep trying.
Expert:  Bill replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much. Sometimes those things just happen. Just keep trying. I appreciate it.

Thanks again,
Bill