Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Firearms Instructor
Experience:  Firearms instructor, 40 years experience with firearms.
47070024

I have a Smith & Wesson 38 Special with a serial number of

I have a Smith & Wesson 38 Special with a serial number of C1826. The only other numbers I can find on it 95225 with a E above the number when I release the cylinder. Any idea of the age and appoximately what it may be worth.
Category: Firearms
Expert:  Philip Van Cleave replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer!

The "C" prefix on that serial number makes me believe that you have a Smith & Wesson Model 10 revolver (also known as the .38 Military & Police). The "C" went on guns with the new hammer bock safety. It is a K service frame gun with 5 external screws. Barrel markings are "Smith & Wesson" on the left side and ".38 S&W Special CTG" on the right side. Some had both markings on the left side.

Look on the crane or yoke of the gun (the part that holds the cylinder when you swing the cylinder out) and the model number should be there.

Pricing for a Model 10:

New in Box: $500
Excellent: $300
Very Good: $200
Good: $150
Fair: $125
Poor: $90

If you think that your gun is not a Model 10, let me know the model number on the crane/yoke. If you can't find a number there, could you attach a picture of the gun to help me confirm the identification? Use the "paper clip" icon in the Just Answer message box to select a file with the image. You can also try pasting the image into the message.

Philip
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There is the number 95225 stamped when I open the cylinder. I will try to attach a picyute also. I don't doubt your word I am just trying to get al the info I can. Thanks
When you open the cylinder, is the number on the frame underneath where the yoke/crane was?

Yes, a picture would be great!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The picture helped, especially showing the round front sight - I'm looking at a spitting image of that gun - it is a .38 Military & Police (postwar), but "Pre-Model 10". Based on the "C" prefix, it was made between March 22, 1948 and 1952 (when the round front sight was changed to a ramp sight).

The 95225 might make sense if there was an "S" prefix (you might check), but there were some serial numbers that didn't have a prefix. It sounds as if perhaps that gun has a serialized part from another gun, causing the conflicting serial numbers.

Serial numbers are found on the butt, cylinder face, barrel flat, yoke face, the rear of the star extractor, and on the right grip panel.
Philip Van Cleave, Firearms Instructor
Experience: Firearms instructor, 40 years experience with firearms.