Will, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  30+ years experience in the trade

I have a 20Gauge Topper Model 58 Made by Harrington & Richardson,

I have a 20Gauge Topper Model 58 Made by Harrington & Richardson, Inc. in Gardner Mass,USA am227243. Could you give me a price to sell? It is in great condition.
Thanks Lois
Category: Firearms
Expert:  Will replied 5 years ago.

Hi! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am pleased to assist you. In realistic terms, the general market value for your shotgun, in average good condition, is around $75 to $125 in most places. The current "book" price, which is not always the best indicator of market value, is as follows:

PLEASE note that it may or may not be legal to sell this weapon in your state--under Federal law, which generally supercedes state law in criminal cases, the shotgun must be transferred via a Federal Form 4473 by a licensed dealer in firearms. I strongly urge you to let a dealer do the required background check and legal transfer to avoid any potential "problems" you may encounter from a buyer.

"Topper" Model 058 by Harrington and Richardson: 12, 16, 20 ga., or .410 bore, 26 to 36 in. barrel with chokes, case hardened frame, side lever break open action, self-adj. barrel latch, walnut stained pistol grip hardwood stock, semi-beavertail forearm, hard rubber buttplate, rebounding hammer (mfg. 1974-1976) or transfer bar ignition system (mfg. 1977-1981). Mfg. 1974-1981.

Guns are marked Model 58.

Harrington and Richardson, Inc.

Previous manufacturer located in Gardner, MA - formerly from Worcester, MA. Successors to Wesson & Harrington, manufactured from 1871 until January 24, 1986. H & R 1871, LLC was formed during 1991 (an entirely different company, see listing in the front of this section). H & R 1871, LLC is not responsible for the warranties or safety of older pre-1986 H & R firearms.
A manufacturer of utilitarian firearms for over 115 years, H & R ceased operation on January 24, 1986. Even though new manufacture (under H & R 1871, LLC) is utilizing the H & R trademark, the discontinuance of older models in either NIB or mint condition may command slight asking premiums, but probably will not affect values on those handguns only recently discontinued. Most H & R firearms are still purchased for their shooting value rather than collecting potential.

Please remember to click the ACCEPT button if my answer has helped you in any way so I can be credited by Just Answer staff for assisting additional charge to you! Thanks!

Best, XXXXX XXXXX for using Just Answer.

Life Member, Company of Military Historians

Associate, International Society of Appraisers

Licensed Federal Firearms Dealer since 1981