TOM
TOM, Gunsmith
Experience:  17 YRS EXPERIENCE,Certified Armorer
47830436

I have a Remington 552 .22 autoloader. Apparently it does

I have a Remington 552 .22 autoloader. Apparently it does not have a bolt hold-open feature to facilitate cleaning. Any ideas on how this feature could be added to the rifle?

There is no way to install a hold open on the Model 552. It is a strange design and it will not work. Adding any weight to the bolt will slow it down and affect the operation of the gun. I have a thin piece of poplar (about 1/8") cut in the shape of a "T". The top is the length of the opening when the bolt is pull to the rear. The other part is used for a handle to put it in place and remove it.

The manual has complete disassembly instructions for a thorough cleaning and lubrication. You can download or print a copy at the following web site.

http://stevespages.com/pdf/remington_552.pdf

I hope this helps you,

Tom