TOM
TOM, Gunsmith
Experience:  17 YRS EXPERIENCE,Certified Armorer
47830436

I have a Theate Freres Liege belgium 16ga SxS double barrel

I have a Theate Freres Liege belgium 16ga SxS double barrel shotgun. It has an upper sling swiivel attached. It's condition I would describe as fair - no rust, and the engraving is beautiful. The choke is shown to be 17.0 right barrel and 17.1 left. My dad, a WWII vet, said he won it in a poker game and hunted with it many years. The wood stock shows wear, but considering its age, not bad. The matching serial # XXXXX all parts is 4744. What is its approximate value so that I may insure it properly?
Category: Firearms
Expert:  TOM replied 5 years ago.

There were thousands of Belgian made guns imported in the late 1800's and early 1900's. They were made by hundreds of different small shops and there are no records or listings for most. Theate Freres is not listed in the Blue Book or the Standard Catalog of Firearms. Most of these guns are utility grade and sell for up to $500. A gun like you describe is a higher end gun and would be valued at $750 to $1200 depending on condition. The only auction listing for a Theate Freres that I could find sold for $110. There were no pictures or mention of engraving which leads me to think it was a utility grade gun.

I hope this helps you,

Tom