Bill
Bill, Gunsmith
Experience:  40 yrs. experience as master machinist/tool and die maker and gunsmith. I own and operate a tool and die shop and custom gunsmithing/gunmaking shop.
9353784

Value for a Winchester model 1886 40-65 in 60% condition. Barrel

Customer Question

Value for a Winchester model 1886 40-65 in 60% condition. Barrel length is 27" with a metal butt. Gun also has a peep sight and a flip up ring on the front sight.
Thank You!
Category: Firearms
Expert:  Bill replied 3 years ago.
Hi, my name isXXXXX would be glad to help you any way that I can by answering your question to the best of my ability.
The values given here are for guns in original condition. Unless it has been restored by the factory, changing anything will diminish the value. However, more and more, quality restorations have been very close to original values. These are taken from the 2011 Standard Catalog of Firearms. The Model 1886 Sporting Rifle - Brownings first high power lever action design. This rifle originally came with a 26" round, octagon, or half-octagon barrel, full or half magazine and straight-grip stock with plain forearm. Exc.: $15,000, Vgood: $11500, Good: $7500, Fair: $5000, Poor: $2500
In 60% condition, it would be in the fair to good catagory.
Bill, Gunsmith
Experience: 40 yrs. experience as master machinist/tool and die maker and gunsmith. I own and operate a tool and die shop and custom gunsmithing/gunmaking shop.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I forgot to tell you that it has an octagon barrel but I think your answer covered it.

Gary

Expert:  Bill replied 3 years ago.
Yeah. Is there anything else I can help you with?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I found some paper work that came with my gun and it shows a M1886 that has a 28"

barrel. My barrel measures 27 1/4" from barrel end to where it attaches to the magazine. Would this have any difference in the value's that you gave me?

My Winchester is a 40-65 MFG. between 1889-1890.

Thank You!

Gary

Expert:  Bill replied 3 years ago.
The barrel length is actually from the muzzle to the breech face. About another 3/4" from the receiver where the barrel meets it. I'm pretty sure your barrel is 28". There is usually about 3/4" of threads on the barrel going in to the receiver.
Thanks,
Bill