Bill, Gunsmith
Experience:  40 yrs. experience as master machinist/tool and die maker and gunsmith. I own and operate a tool and die shop and custom gunsmithing/gunmaking shop.

I have a Sentinel High Standard.22 cal. R-101 pistol. What

I have a Sentinel High Standard.22 cal. R-101 pistol. What is it worth ? It is in real good condition for its age.
Bob Davis
Category: Firearms
Expert:  Bill replied 5 years ago.
Hi, my name isXXXXX would be glad to help you any way that I can by answering your question to the best of my ability.
In mid-1956, the hammer and trigger mechanisms were slightly modified for the R-101 series. The Sentinel was originally available in a so-called blued finish (which was actually a selenium black). The nickel finish was available in April of 1956. The early nickeled guns cost $5 or $6 more than the blued guns. The MSRP for the blued gun in 1955 was $37.50. A 1955 catalog says the gun was available with a 3 or a 5 inch barrel. A parts list circa 1957 or 1958 shows 3 inch, 4 inch, and 2-3/8 inch barrels were available. By 1956, a 6 inch barrel was also available. The 3 inch barrel was dropped in 1964.
Exc.: $300, Vgood: $200, Good: $185
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Can you answer a question about another gun for the same price? Then I will accept . The other answer was just a little late for me to price the gun to sell it.

Expert:  Bill replied 5 years ago.
Ok, shoot.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have a Winchester model1892. Ser # XXXXX It is only 26 inches long with a 11 inch barrel. It doesn't appear to have been cut down. I have been told that these rifles were mosly sold in Austriala to shoot Kangeroos, & are worth quit a lot. Can you tell me anything about it & what it might be worth.
Expert:  Bill replied 5 years ago.
Your gun was made in 1893 according to the ser.#.
The Trapper's Carbine configuration was the shortest barreled rifle. It came in 14", 15", 16", and 18". Unfortunately much of the value went out the door with the rest of the barrel. But even then, it's worth quite a bit. Here are the values from the 2011 Standard Catalog of Firearms:
Exc.: $12000, Vgood: $8500, Good: $4000, Fair: $2500, Poor: $1250
Add 20% for the 15" barrel. Add 50% for ones chambered for the .25-20 cartridge.

Federal law prohibits the possession of rifles with barrel lengths shorter than 16".The Model 1892 Trapper's Carbine can be exempted from this law as a curio and relic with a federal permit providing the trapper is an original trapper and left the factory with the short trapper barrel.