TOM
TOM, Gunsmith
Experience:  17 YRS EXPERIENCE,Certified Armorer
47830436

How much is an L.C. Smith/Hunter Arms Co. 12 Gauge double barrel

How much is an L.C. Smith/Hunter Arms Co. 12 Gauge double barrel shotgun valued at? dont know the year, do you have an estimated value?

Do you have the serial number?

Tom

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

where would it be located? cant see one

Open the gun and look on the flat part of the receiver that the barrels rest on. It may also be on the tang of the gun.

Tom

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
340579

L. C. Smith shotguns were made by the Hunter Arms Company of Fulton, NY. The early hammerless models were chambered for 10, 12, 16 and 20 gauge and were produced with various barrel lengths and choke combinations. The difference in values depends on the amount of engraving and the quality of materials used on the gun. These models were manufactured between 1890 and 1913. Your gun was made in 1911.

The 00 grade is the most popular and there were 60,000 made. The grade should be stamped somewhere on the receiver near the serial number. Values for the 00 are:

excellent-$2050, very good-$1800, good-$1300, fair-$650, poor-$400.

Add $250 for a single selective trigger and 30% for automatic ejectors.If you find that you have a different grade, let me know and I will give you the values on it. There were 13 grades made.

I hope this helps you,

Tom

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

there is a 00 stamp on it and it has engravings in the stock. it is hammerless withdual triggers. it is in great working condition with some wear in the blueing. nothing is broken would this constitute a very good condition?

Yes, as long as all of the parts are original and nothing has been refinished, some wear or the blueing turning a brownish or gray color is normal for a gun that is 100 years old. Without seeing it and from what you are telling me, It should be valued at $1800

Tom

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

what if the stock was refinished? how much value is lost for that?

this is my last question. thanks Tom u r awesome bud.

It would take about 15 to 20% off of the value to a collector. To someone just looking for a good old shotgun, it may not make much difference, maybe 10%

Tom