Bill
Bill, Gunsmith
Experience:  40 yrs. experience as master machinist/tool and die maker and gunsmith. I own and operate a tool and die shop and custom gunsmithing/gunmaking shop.

I INHERITED A U. S. MODEL CF 1917 WINCHESTER AND WOULD LIKE

I INHERITED A U. S. MODEL CF 1917 WINCHESTER AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE VALUE OF IT BUT ALL THE INFORMATION I CAN FIND IS FOR "OF 1917" NOT "CF1917". THE RIFLE IS IN EXCELLENT CONDITION AND I BELIEVE TO BE 30-06
Category: Firearms
Expert:  Bill replied 3 years ago.

Hi, my name isXXXXX would be glad to help you any way that I can by answering your question to the best of my ability.

The U.S. Model of 1917 Winchester is a Model 1917 Enfield Military Rifle manufactured from 1917 - 1918, in this case, by the Winchester Repeating Arms Company of New Haven CT.

It is a modified Mauser-type bolt action rifle chambered in 30-06. It has a 26" barrel, 5-shot box magazine, adjustable rear site, and blade front site, supported by a military type stock with a semi-pistol grip. Weight is 9.25 pounds.

It was designed after the English .303 caliber P14 Enfield (Pattern 14) that was being manufactured in the U.S at the time for the British government by three gun U.S. manufacturers: Winchester Repeating Arms Company of New Haven CT, Remington Arms Company of Ilion NY, and Remington Arms Company of DE (actually located in Eddystone PA, later the Midvale Steel & Ordnance Company).

In 1917, the U.S. Government contracted with these three firms to manufacture the same rifle for the U.S. armed forces, only chambered in 30-06. Over 2 million were produced, with the majority surplused (not distributed for service). None were made after WWI, but the U.S. later supplied over 1 million of this surplus of these rifles to Britain during WWII.

The 2002 BBGV rates this gun as follows (add 10% if a Winchester manufacture): original high polish blue - 100% - $2700 . . . 98% - $2300 . . . 95% - $1900 . . . 90% - $1400 . . . 80% - $1100 . . . 70% - $850 . . . 60% - $650

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I found this information on the web earlier but it doesn't answer the question for the "CF 1917" not "OF1917" No one seems to be able to answer what the "CF1917" is valued at. It very clear on the gun "CF"

Thanks

Aaron

Expert:  Bill replied 3 years ago.

Hi, through some more research, I've found that some went through a "factory thorough repair". There were many rifles reworked and refurbished and sold/leased to other countries with some variations. It most likely has had a new barrel put on it and it is the barrel maker's stamp, or the inspector's stamp. If it has a parkerized or a matte finish on it, it has been rebuilt between WWI and WWII.

Design changes were few; the magazine, bolt face, chamber and rifling dimensions were altered to suit the .30-06 cartridge, and the volley fire sights on the left side of the weapon were deleted. The markings were changed to reflect the model and calibre change.

That's all I can come up with.

Bill, Gunsmith
Experience: 40 yrs. experience as master machinist/tool and die maker and gunsmith. I own and operate a tool and die shop and custom gunsmithing/gunmaking shop.