Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Firearms Instructor
Experience:  Firearms instructor, 40 years experience with firearms.
47070024

I have a .32 caliber Iver Johnson Owl Head Pistol how old might

Customer Question

I have a .32 caliber Iver Johnson Owl Head Pistol how old might it be and what might it be worth?
Category: Firearms
Expert:  Philip Van Cleave replied 6 years ago.
There are several models of Iver Johnson .32 caliber revolvers with an owl's head on the grip. There is a first/second/third hammer model or a first/second/third hammerless model. Both of the third models use smokeless powder cartridges, while the first and second models use black powder cartridges.

Manufacturer dates range from 1894-1941, prices vary depending on condition - from a high of $300 for a 100% condition first model hammerless to $60 for a 60% condtion first model hammerless. Pricing and date can be narrowed down if you provide some answers:

Does you gun have a hammer or is it hammerless? Are there two or four cross pins in the lower frame? What is the serial number (located on left side of grip frame)? Any indication of the model number or other markings on the gun? Number of chambers in the cylinder?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

It is not hammerless, I'm afraid to try to take the grips off so I'm not sure of the serial number, it is a 5 shot. I do know that the grips are wood and it has a spring action that pushes the cylinder out when you open it. I have photos of this weapon that I will send if you need them, I'm at work right now though and those photos are on my home computer.

OK - only the Third model offered wooden grips (oversized). 3 or 3-1/4 inch barrel, redesigned for smokeless powder, double top post barrel latch, four cross pins in the lower frame. Values based on condition:

100% - $250
98% - $220
95% - $200
90% - $190
80% - $175
70% - $155
60% - $130