Bill, Gunsmith
Experience:  40 yrs. experience as master machinist/tool and die maker and gunsmith. I own and operate a tool and die shop and custom gunsmithing/gunmaking shop.

I have 30 caliber Inland carbine with the metal folding stock.

I have 30 caliber Inland carbine with the metal folding stock. None of the parts of the gun have been replaced. I have two 15 round magazines as well as several strip clips and the original canvas ammo belt. The gun is is in great condition and the olny thing missing is the oil tube from the stock. Has button safety.
Serial # XXXXX Has flip rear sight.

Hi, my name isXXXXX to be of help.

What is it that you want to know about it?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My original question regards XXXXX XXXXX of the rifle. I have had this gun since 1946 and would like to sell it. What is a good value for the rifle???
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Do you need more information on the weapon???

That is the M1A1 paratrooper model. It could possibly be worth upwards of $5000. I just looked at one that is selling for $450 at an auction, and one that is going over $5000. If you can possibly find a certified firearms appraiser, then you need to take it to him and let him physically see it to appraise it. I would hate to see you get ripped-off with something you've had that long. If you would like me to try and find one in your area, just tell me the closest major city and state and I will look.

You may already know much of the history regarding the M1 carbine as there is a lot in publication and on internet however The M1 carbine (formally the United States Carbine, Caliber .30, M1) is a lightweight semi-automatic carbine that became a standard firearm in the U.S. military during World War II and the Korean War, and was produced in several variants. It was widely used by U.S. and foreign military and paramilitary forces, and has also been a popular civilian firearm. In selective fire versions capable of fully-automatic fire, the carbine is designated the M2 carbine. The M3 carbine was an M2 with an active infrared scope system. Unlike conventional carbines, which were generally a version of a parent rifle with a shorter barrel (like the earlier .30-40 U.S. Krag rifle and carbine), the M1 carbine has no parts in common with the M1 rifle and fires a different cartridge. The paratrooper model or U.S. Carbine, Cal .30, M1A1: • Folding stock, 15-round magazine • Paratrooper model • About 150,000 produced Carbines originally issued with the M1A1 folding stock were made by Inland, a division of General Motors. Inland production of M1A1 carbines was interspersed with Inland production of M1 carbines with the standard stock. Stocks were often swapped out as carbines were refurbished at arsenals. An original Inland carbine with an original M1A1 stock is rare today. The market can vary with location. I hope this helps you.

Thank you,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your advice Bill. I believe I will find an area appraiser and get a more firm quote. I did not realize the gun was so valuable.