TOM, Gunsmith
Experience:  17 YRS EXPERIENCE,Certified Armorer

I have a Mauser Espanol Modelo 1893 made by Loewe in Berlin.

I have a Mauser Espanol Modelo 1893 made by Loewe in Berlin. The serial number is XXXXX The other markings I can make out are a Star of David just to the right of and below the serial number. The magazine plate on the bottom of the rifle has another Star of David and 77 stamped above it. I'm mainly wondering when this gun was made and if it is indeed a 7 mm. The spent 7mm shell casings do not extract after the gun is fired and the action worked. A local gunsmith thought it may have been re-barreled for the English .303 round. The .303 rounds are just a bit tight, but the casings extract beautifully. Anybody have any answers? Thanks! JT in Brunswick, GA

The rifle was built for Spain and was made in 1893, like the model, there was also a model 1895.

The best thing to do is make a chamber casting and then measure the casting to determine the chambering. The 303 is a rimmed case and the 7x57 is rimless. They would not fit in the same bolt and using a round in a gun that it is not chamberer for is very dangerous. The material you need for the chamber casting can be purchased from Brownells, this is a link to the product.

I hope this helps,

It sounds like you have a headspace problem, the chamber should be checked with headspace gauges after doing the casting.