TOM308
TOM308, Gunsmith
Experience:  15 YRS EXPERIENCE, LAW ENFORCEMENT ARMORER

I have a 1976 Winchester model 94 antique caliber 30/30. It

I have a 1976 Winchester model 94 antique caliber 30/30. It is a commemorative model "Sharp Shooter Award Napa Echlin" with engraved marbleized bluing on the receiver. What can you tell me about this rifle? Do you know the value? It has never been fired, I have the original warranty, owner's manual and box. Any ideas?
Category: Firearms
Expert:  TOM308 replied 3 years ago.

The books show three models for 1976. The Sioux and Little Bighorn, both Canadian Models and the U S Bicentennial. Like all the other manufacturers, Winchester over produced their commemorative models and this has kept prices down.

Values for all 1976 models are $1400 unfired, new in box. Issue price was $300.

Always keep the box and any papers to any gun you buy. It increases the value whether fired or unfired. The commemorative rifles should never be fired.

I have checked Winchesters website, The Standard Catalog of Firearms and Gun Digest Book of Guns. The name you mention is not listed for any year. Is there any other name on the gun or box?

Tom

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, no other name. Did it say anything about the engraving and marbleized bluing?
Expert:  TOM308 replied 3 years ago.

All of the Model 94 commemoratives have some engraving and some have a lot. It depends on the model. I did find a note that says a number of commemoratives were ordered by outside concerns and they are not technically factory rifles. They have less collectibility than factory rifles and values are not as high. Blueing can be different for many reasons, the metal was not polished as bright, it was not left in the tank long enough, the metal wasn't degreased before blueing. There are many things that can affect the outcome of the color, whether intentional or not.

I hope this helps you,

Tom

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So it it correct to assume the commemorative emblem is after-market? Is the bluing also redone? It looks intentional. Do you still think it is worth $1400.?
Expert:  TOM308 replied 3 years ago.

I don't think the bluing is redone, It is possible that the metal was just not prepped right or it was not left in the tank long enough. It could have been ordered that way. I have no way of knowing. I just don't think it is possible that a rifle with the original box would be reblued. The rifle would have been made as a commemorative, but special ordered with an emblem for the group that placed the order. It is still a model 94, unfired, with the box and papers.

A new in the box Model 94 is worth $800, so a special order would have to be worth at least $1200 or more.

Tom

TOM308, Gunsmith
Experience: 15 YRS EXPERIENCE, LAW ENFORCEMENT ARMORER