bullsleyer
bullsleyer, Gunsmith, master machinist, tool & die maker, mold maker
Experience:  I have over 40 years experience in the tool & die/machinist/mold making/gunsmithing field.
9353784

Bill. My name is bob. I have a 380 ***** ***** Mustang that

Customer Question

Customer: Hi Bill. My name is ***** ***** have a 380 ***** ***** Mustang that is sometimes impossible to remove the magazine without severe force. I want to replace the Magazine Catch ant the Magazine Catch Lock.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I think that I have figured out how to remove the catch lock, but I am not able to get it to turn with a screw driver.can you help me?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Firearms Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes, I will Wait.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Firearms Repair
Expert:  bullsleyer replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for requesting me.

As far as removing the magazine catch, lock, and spring goes, the slotted head catch lock only needs to turn 1/4 turn. You might have to slightly push in on the lock a little to get it to turn. When it turns 1/4 turn counter-clockwise, the whole thing will come back out.

Thanks,

Bill

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Bill, Thanks for the reply.
I cannot turn the lock in either direction. I don't want to do it but I am begining to tear up the screw head of the lock. Do you have any suggestion about how to get the lock to turn?
Also do you know where I can buy the lock and the magazine catch?
Bob

Hi Bob,

Push in a little ways and turn counterclockwise. The lock has a tab that has to go in about 1/8 inch or so before it will turn. Keep pushing in until it wants to turn.

Thanks,

Bill

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The schematic that you sent are from Numrich.
They do not have these parts in stock. They are sold out.
Bob

Why do you thing you need new parts?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Bill,
As I said before I am tearing up the screwhead of the lock and it will not move either clockwise or counter clockwise.
I take pride in my firearms being in new condition, meaning all screw heads in new condition.
I am afraid that the lock screw head will twist apart before the lock can be turned the 1/4 turn counterclockwise.
I would prefer to replace the parts indicated when the piece is apart to insure the condition of the firearm.
Bob
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Bill,
I also believe that the magazine catch is damaged.
I do not want to take the chance that it is not.
Bob

Hi Bob,

My power was out due to a snowstorm. Sorry for the delay.

Here is a close-up of the assembly: http://www.m1911.org/technic28.htm

I am having a hard time finding a magazine catch assembly. I have checked all of my resources including Colt. I would strongly suggest that you take it to a gunsmith who can remove it and repair it. That is what I would do for you if I could not find the catch assembly.

Thanks,

Bill