bullsleyer
bullsleyer, Gunsmith, master machinist, tool & die maker, mold maker
Experience:  I have over 40 years experience in the tool & die/machinist/mold making/gunsmithing field.
9353784

My m1 American derringer is hard. Is there fix?

Customer Question

My m1 American derringer is hard cock. Is there fix for this?
Category: Firearms Repair
Expert:  bullsleyer replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I would be glad to help you.
The hammer spring could be weakened to make pulling the hammer back easier. When doing so it also could compromise the safety being held on while it is in half-cock. I do think it could be lightened a small amount safely.
Here is something to think about. I don't know how much the hammer has been worked, but after 200-300 continuous cocks it is going to be somewhat smoother. There is a good technic you can practice as you wear it in. When you pull back on the hammer, pull back and down. Just the way ti is levered, it needs and back and downward pull or it is a real bugger. I hope you don't take that advise wrongly. Just advise and nothing more, but I do think a good gunsmith can lighten the pull a lttle bit by polishing every friction point and working the spring slightly. Enough that with using the right technic, should make it fun to shoot. (you might already be using the right technic)