Tom
Tom, Gunsmith
Experience:  17 years as a gunsmith, certified Armorer
47830436

I have a 243 ruger american that i bought daughter because

Customer Question

I have a 243 ruger american that i bought for my daughter because her wants to learn how to shoot. She has been shooting for about 6 week's now. But we're having a feed problem with it. While at the range the third round jams while cycling the bolt this happens 2 out of three times. I've used 2 different brands of ammo PPU and Remington. They both jam the same way. I even tryed some rem-oil in the magazine . I seen this problem on the Internet but no solutions. Is there any way to fix this with out sending back to ruger?
Category: Firearms Repair
Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.

You need to adjust the lips of the magazine until it feeds without jamming.

Use smooth jaw pliers and open the lips slightly, try cycling rounds through it and open more if needed. Bend both sides out a very small and equal amount at a time until it stops jamming.

Wipe the oil out of the magazine, it collects dirt and dust and will cause more problems. If any lubrication is ever needed in a magazine use a dry lube.

Let me know how you make out,

Tom