Tom
Tom, Gunsmith
Experience:  17 years as a gunsmith, certified Armorer
47830436

Just got a French mad 49/56 with the classic ejection problem

Customer Question

Just got a French mad 49/56 with the classic ejection problem a lot of the century arms .308 conversion have. Is there someone I can send it to who can make work reliable. Currently, it will fire around 20/30 rds if well lubed then either the extractor fails to extract the round from chamber or it rips/tears the casing during extraction
Category: Firearms Repair
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
Hi,The problem is usually caused by a rough chamber. When the gun is fired the brass expands and sticks on the rough spots. Before shipping it out to have someone repair it try polishing the chamber. Use a 45 caliber bore mop with 320 or 400 grit polishing compound. I use 1 or 2 sections of cleaning rod in a drill, coat the bore mop with compound and run it in and out of the chamber to remove the rough spots. Make sure you clean the chamber and bore before firing it. You can get polishing compound from Brownells. http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/metal-prep-coloring/abrasives/lapping-compounds/silicon-carbide-abrasive-compound-prod1142.aspxLet me know how you make out with it. Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tom, are you referring to a .45 bore brush as the bore mop? I'm not familiar with that term. If so, I sure will give it a try. I also read That some folks suggest replacing the hard hitting steel firing pin, used for the military 7.5 French, with a after market titanium on civilian .308; ...your thought?
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
Hi,A bore mop is made from cloth. The following link will take you to them on Brownells web site.http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/cleaning-kits/rifle-cleaning-kits/bore-mops-prod32552.aspxI wouldn't change the firing pin, steel works just as good, maybe a little slower lock time because it is heavier, but most shooters won't notice the 0.12 seconds faster time.Tom
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
Hi,Walmart and most sporting goods stores will also have the bore mops. Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That you Tom for the info. I'll keep you contact info for further contact needed
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome,Let me know how it is after polishing. It should fix the problem. Tom