Lev
Lev, Tax Preparer
Experience:  Personal Investment, Tax Preparation
870116

I am employed, but work from home. Often I have to drive to

Customer Question

I am employed, but work from home. Often I have to drive to the main office for meetings and to work on-site. Can I write off the mileage to and from the main office on my taxes.
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Lev replied 9 days ago.

You can’t deduct the costs of taking a bus, trolley, subway, or taxi, or of driving a car between your home and your main or regular place of work. These costs are personal commuting expenses. You can’t deduct commuting expenses no matter how far your home is from your regular place of work.

HOWEVER

Office in the home. If you have an office in your home that qualifies as a principal place of business, you can deduct your daily transportation costs between your home and another work location in the same trade or business.

On this case these trips are NOT commuting - but travels between two work locations.

Questions?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
My office is my principal place of business... but I am an employee... so its not deductible?
Expert:  Lev replied 9 days ago.

Yes - if your office in your home that qualifies as a principal place of business and you claim home-office deduction.

Then - you travel between business places - and that will be deductible business trips.