emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

I manage the books for a Church and was wondering if we have

Customer Question

I manage the books for a Church and was wondering if we have to send out a 1099 to someone who received a gift from us. They rendered no services.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: Say we receive a designated charitable donation in the weekly offering and a check is sent to an individual for the amount of say $1,000. Do we need to send a 1099 form even though there were no services performed?
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: Not Sure.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Finance
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

You need to issue 1099 if you pay somebody $400 or more for services. But since the person did not provide any services, it is not a payment and 1099 is not required. It is a gift.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 month ago.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?