How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Finance
Satisfied Customers: 11157
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Finance Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Second opinion] - From what I understand, it is best to do

Customer Question

Second opinion] - From what I understand, it is best to do beneficiary forms (POD) for beneficiaries for retirement accounts and life insurance policies and to fund your Trust with your real property and brokerage accts that are not retirement. Is it ok to put IRA's and retirement accts to the trust as your beneficiary?
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Lane replied 4 months ago.

Sure... If you want the maximum amount of tax on the income from the retirement accounts. (Although this CAN be alleviated with a properly drafted trust with lookthrough provisions - a discretionary trust)


Also POD and TOD can't BE used with retirement accounts and life insurance