TaxRobin, Senior Advisor
Experience:  15 years of experience in financial advising with emphasis on tax issues.

We started a payment plan with our county to pay our real

Customer Question

We started a payment plan with our county to pay our real estate taxes, but we are falling behind. We live in San Bernardino County in California. Is there any other type of help that we can receive? They only accept payments in lump sums, or so it seems. We have terrible credit and can't seem to get a loan. Should we try to refinance our home to help pay off the taxes? Also, how do we know how much we owe for the payment plan and when we are supposed to pay them? The county website only shows information for the current year's tax obligation.Thank you for your help with this matter.
Submitted: 3 days ago.
Category: Finance
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 day ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 day ago.

Unfortunately the county does not have many options especially when the tax is over due.

If you can refinance and pay the amount then you would avoid penalties and possible loss of your home due to tax sale.

As you were in a payment plan you may know about the contact info but I will repeat it here.

Can I make payment arrangements other than the due dates printed on my tax bill?

A. Under certain conditions a payment plan can be arranged. To find out more about the conditions under which a payment plan may be authorized please contact one of our tax specialists at(###) ###-#### Please have your Assessors Parcel number or Tax Bill Number when requesting this information.

You may want to call and speak with them again to see if new payments can be acceptable but it is the option of the tax collectors office to accept.