Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

If cash flow is similar (within $20.00) what advantages do

Customer Question

If cash flow is similar (within $20.00) what advantages do you see in refinancing a loan with 18 years remaining in its term with a 10 year loan?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

Hi Cal. My name's Lane. I can help here.

...

The answer depends on your objectives. If you're trying to maximize, purely financially, you'll need to provide the interest rates, so that a Net Present Value calculation can be run.

...

That's the only way to bring all the factor back to what the cash flows are worth (better said, are the least negative) to the borrower.

...

With a 10 year loan, if both are standard amortizations, your possibly get to a bigger reduction in principal more quickly.... bot***** *****ne, pay less interest.

...

ANd if there's a large interest rate differential (lower rate on the 10 year loan) then the 10 year refi makes even more sense.

...

The closing costs, of course, have to be made up for, (offset by) the lower interest cost over time.

...

If you'd like to give me the numbers (payment, interest, compounding frequency, terms, closing costs, and current balance on the existing loan) I can run the numbers for you.

...

bot***** *****ne? same payment getting to a Future value of zero in 10 years, rather than 18 years, is likely to cost less interest.... it's certainly less out of pocket (unless there's a balloon)

Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

Again let me know if you want me to run the numbers. (or if you have any other questions at all)

...

...

And if you DON'T have other questions Your positive rating … (by using those the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit”) …would be appreciated!

Otherwise I receive no compensation for the work.

...

Thank you,

Lane

...

...

...

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, a Masters Degree, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986