Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Certified Public Accountant

When an individual files his tax return using turbotax --

Customer Question

When an individual files his tax return using turbotax -- turbotax asks some questions forcing you to answer those the question rather than you entering the information yourself (such as overriding the field) -- but if I override the field it does not let to submit things electronically. I think IRS forces turbotax and dictates to turbotax on how to ask questions etc. Anyway my question - if you go to a CPA -- do they have to go through the battery of the stupid question or they can enter the information into the fields themselves as they do not use turbotax - and rely on a different software.
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 19 days ago.

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. The CPA can enter the information with you going through the extensive questionnaire.

The CPA going to know if he or she entered the information in the wrong place. So when the return is reviewed, if something is not being reported correctly on the form. The CPA will go back and review the input to see what went wrong.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Sorry, this is not my question. Let me stated differently. If CPA enters everything correctly -- but by-passes question/answer as for example forced by turbotax can he do this. Or he has to go through the same interrogatory as an individual for turbotax. I am looking for an answer from a CPA who does not use turbotax or any other "consumer" type software. What kind of software do you use?

I use Drake software. With Drake. It has tabs for income, adjustments, credits, general, taxes, other forms. For instance, in the general section there is a link to a dependent page. You would enter the name, the relationship, the number on months they lived with the taxpayer, and their date of birth. If you enter more than one dependent it would become a spreadsheet form where you can enter the next dependents information below the first. So there are no questions regarding did the tax payer provide more than half the support etc.

You would enter the information that is required. If there is a specialized situation there is usually a box that need to be click or information that needs to be entered. Sometimes there is a disconnect between the software programmers and CPA logic. This is what I was referring to in my original response where a return would not look like you expected it to look like. This would be do to a misinterpretation of the information required by the software.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
the software would still interrogate you? - but do you have a choice in going directly to the required fields, by-passing the interrogation, -- using the same techniques people did taxes 30 years ago when they entered information directly onto the for. For example "the number on months they lived with the taxpayer' -- there is no such field on 1040 form - so can you just by-pass the interrogation on the number of months -- and enter whether the person is dependant or not directly. In other words can you override the field without answering preliminary questions.

Yes, you can bypass a lot of the interrogation, if the software is not doing what you want it to do you have the ability to override the output.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
you would be able to submit this electronicly?? -- as in case of TurboTax -- if there are any overridden fields you are not allowed to submit it electronicly. Are things different in the software you are using that still allows you to elecronicly submit the tax return with overridden fields. Why I am asking - it can save time for the CPA - if has done someone return in the past - he can often cut to the chase.

Yes, you can still file electronically with an override. The software will give you a diagnostic alerting you that you have an override.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.