Rakhi Vasavada
Rakhi Vasavada, Financial and Legal Consultant
Experience:  Graduated in law with Emphasis on Finance and have have been working in financial sector for over 12 Years
43581946

I am trying to find and pay a bill as a result of giving

Customer Question

i am trying to find and pay a bill as a result of giving birth 16 years ago. Medicaid/Medical has paid the bill at the time and shows ZERO balance. What are the steps i need to take to reimburse Medicaid.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Lane replied 10 months ago.

...

Your effort is commendable here.

...

With a debt this old, however, (1) not only are you past the statute of limitations for debt in California,

...

(2) the institution itself likely has no record of this and even IF you could get MediCal OR the institution itself (if the ownership or consolidations haven't already changed the organization to something unregognizable from the one it was 16 years ago) to take the money, it would have to go to general fund and could not be tied to an account for YOU that no linger exists. (Systems like this are usually purged after 7 years)

...

This has LONG since disappeared from your credit records (7 years).

...

Finally, if Mediccaid/MediCal says you do not owe the money, then they likely have no way to account for money received from you (this far down the line).

...

You can certainly give this money to a Charity that might help a young mother in the kind of need you were at the time. You can also certainly pay (out of pocket) something that MediCal would pay now.

...

Are you saying that you didn't QUALIFY for MediCal at the time? Or is this simply an ethical issue for you?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
This is for my sister that came to visit me then from Africa. Routine ultrasound check indicated risk and was being monitored here in the states. She gave birth here and saved her life and her child's. She since has returned to Ethiopia has been here multiple times for visit and work. She has paid out of pocket for all med exams and dental work since. She is a renowned Architect in Ethiopia and won international awards since. Harvard had sent its Master program students few years back to shadow her and her firm and encouraged her to apply for 11 month fellowship program which 3 years later she qualified to this prestigious program . The US embassy now denied her on basis that she used public fund and wants compensation. This is the story��
Expert:  Lane replied 10 months ago.

Wow, amazing!

...

My first thought is that the respponse TO the embassy shoud be that she is willing to repay, ad ask how she should (to whom) she should forward payment.