Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

In May 2015 I had a p replacement. The hospital sent me days

Customer Question

In May 2015 I had a hip replacement. The hospital sent me for rehab for 8 days to a local nursing/rehab facility. It's my understanding that a 5 year look back of my finances should not be considered because I was not entering the facility for long term nursing care. I live in New York State. The nursing home is trying to charge me this past year for over $6600.00
I have since moved off Medicaid and am now on Medicare. Can you please advise that my assumption of Medicaid paying the bill is correct?
Category: Finance
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

...

The five year lookback is for all medicaoid not just Nursing home.

...

BUT that lookback has to do with moving assets out (transferring to another, etc)

...

However, it's whether you were on Medicaid At THE TIME that should dictate whether Medicaid covers or not.

...

The 5 year lookback is an eligibility (or recovery for Medicaid) issue.