emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

If I sell my primary residence after I have lived in it than

Customer Question

If I sell my primary residence after I have lived in it for less than two years, would I have to pay capital gain tax? If so can I reinvest that capital gain in my next primary residence within 3 years and not be liable for that original capital gain.
Category: Finance
Expert:  emc011075 replied 5 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Not using the property as your primary residence for at least 2 out of 5 years prior the sale only means that you will not qualify for the 250K exclusion, unless you qualify for an exception (and partial exclusion). Depending on your sales price and your basis (purchase price, improvements, expenses of sale) you may or may not have capital gains. Unless you live in a hot real estate market, you will most likely not have huge capital gains.

You cannot avoid capital gains by reinvesting the proceeds into another primary residence any more.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am living in the property but for less than 2 years. Want to sell it and put any gains into my next property. The expected sale price is less than $250k.

You cannot escape capital gains by reinvesting the proceeds into your new home any more. How much did you pay for the house and how much do you think will be your closing costs? Any major improvements you made to the property?

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.