Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Financial Expert
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues

I am currently searching for employment and have my resume

Customer Question

Hello, I am currently searching for employment and have my resume up on many job boards with my contact info. I was emailed last week by a man who said his company is contracted to do surveys off WalMarts as Secret Shoppers/Surveyors. He told me it pays $300 a visit. I told him I would be very interested and would like to start. About a week later he contacted me and said they were ready for my first assignment and my check was in the mail via FedEx. I was also given directions on how to proceed and questions to answer about the WalMart. The check was made out for $1600. I was to deposit it, remove my $300, spend $50 at WalMart for my survey and email him back the questionnaire filled out. Then send the remaining money via Money Gram, which was part of the survey, to the next Secret Shopper in Texas. The remaining money was about $1225 after paying for the Money Gram. Have I done anything wrong?
Category: Finance
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 4 months ago.

This may be part of a well known scam. What has happened in the past is that the original check for $1,600. turns out to be a bad check & it will be charged back to you since you deposited it in your account. The "scam" is that you forwarded a "Money Gram" for the $1,225. to an accomplice or to the original "scammer" at that second address. So not only do you lose your fee & expenses of $375., but the $1,225. that you laid out for the "Money Gram".

As far as doing anything wrong, you haven't done anything wrong as long as you didn't intend to cheat anybody or knowingly participate in a scam that involved "scamming" an innocent third party.

Expert:  Stephen G. replied 2 months ago.

Just checking in...In reviewing my "open" questions, I see that you have viewed my previous comments but have not provided a rating for me.

Is there something else I can do to satisfy you, or may I clarify anything with respect to your question?

What happened to the original $1,600. check?

Despite the extended time following your question & my response, I would be happy to clarify anything for you or to answer any follow-up questions you may have.

If you don't have any additional questions or comments, then I would appreciate it if you would provide a rating so that I may close out your question favorably & receive my share of the payment you made some time ago.

Thanks very much,

Expert:  Stephen G. replied 1 month ago.

Did you by any chance experience problems with the rating system? I ask as around the time of your question the site was having some issues in this regard and some of the ratings weren't credit to us. If that was an issue with you, perhaps you could just indicate your rating in words, hopefully good, very good or excellent. If you would take a moment to do that, customer service with credit me with responding to you and close out the question favorably.

Thanks very much,

Expert:  Stephen G. replied 29 days ago.

Just checking in.....................

I'd like to close out this question before the end of the month, if possible.

I would appreciate it if you would take a moment to let me know if I can assist you further and/or if you would provide a rating for my responses as indicated above.

Thanks again,