Rakhi Vasavada
Rakhi Vasavada, Financial and Legal Consultant
Experience:  Graduated in law with Emphasis on Finance and have have been working in financial sector for over 12 Years

Recovery purposes Will the State try to recover med I cal

Customer Question

For estate recovery purposes Will the State try to recover med I cal expenses
If the value of the property of a life estate is $80,000 or less?
Category: Finance
Expert:  Rakhi Vasavada replied 4 months ago.

Dear Friend,

Hello and welcome. Thank you for providing an opportunity to assist you.

YES -- Medi cal can recover from the life estate even with the value of less than 80,000. It may not take away the home, per se, but it can certainly put a claim / lien on the house estate to be recovered after the death.

For example, your home may be an exempt asset while you are alive, and not counted for Medi-Cal eligibility purposes. However, if the home is still in your name when you die, the State can make a claim against your estate for the amount of the Medi-Cal benefits paid or the value of the estate, whichever is less. Thus, if your home or any part of it is still in your name when you die, it is part of your "estate" and can be subject to an estate claim UNLESS there is an exempt survivor, e.g. a spouse or a minor or a disabled child.

I am sure this would help.

You may please leave a positive rating if this helps as this is the only way we are compensated for assisting you. Alternatively, you may revert back with a reply if you need further assistance or if I have missed out on any aspect of your question.

Warm Regards,
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you.
Thank you, ***** ***** Customer Support Team.