Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

My question is simple. We bought a car 3 months ago, but the

Customer Question

Hi Dave. My question is simple. We bought a car 3 months ago, but the financing just got finalized on Wednesday. I made it very clear to the financial rep at the dealership that I was not going to start the loan 2 months behind and that it was their screw up so they needed to fix it. We were told he was going to pay for those two months. Today we were called in to pick up our Registration and were told that they wouldn't release the document to us until we paid one of the months. What do we do?
Category: Finance
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

...

You'll need to sue them in small claims court.

...

FIRST, ask them to make good on their promise ... DO this in writing and ask for an answer in writing

...

OR, a less desirable solution; get then to re-finance (essentially sticking the two payments on the end of the loan.

...

But, if they completely refuse to help at all, legal action, (or getting an attorney to write a letter threatening legal action is you only recourse here), so sorry.

...

MANY TIMES, however, if they know you're not afraid to take them to court on it, they'll fold, or offer a compromise ... I wouldn't threaten the suit right away - get that response in writing first - (will be very helpful if things GET to that point and you then point out to the that you have that response as part of the evidence in your case)

...

Please let me know if you have questions.

...

Lane

...

...

I have a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, both for-profit and non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.