Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

If I am clinically depressed and under a doctors care, must

Customer Question

If I am clinically depressed and under a doctors care, must I present a doctors note to anyone other than Human Resources...Other Management of my company
Category: Finance
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

Hi Brian,

...

For what purpose?

...

Are you asking a legal question? Or for the best practice, in terms of being able to work better at work? Or for the purpose of sick time off?

...

Give me the contest if you would please...

...

I'll be here

...

Lane

..

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have been out of work for 3 days, severely depressed. I have now been asked for a doctors note. As I have not wanted to divolge my reason for being out, I made up a story. I've now been asked for a drys note. My therapist will write one but I want to know who must have the information about my depression. I do not wish it to be the knowledge of anyone that absolutely does not need to know. I would expect that Human Resources must have it but I do not want my manager or assistant manager to have this information. It is embarrassing and I might be treated differently due to it.Regards
Brian
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

I understand. HR is the best practice here.

...

You might also add an note that you do not want this note divulged to others as you fear disparate treatment.

...

Typically HR personnel understand their own risk associated with (and legalities around) disparate treatment (discrimination).

...

Could very well end up being a legal action by you for discrimination under ADA.

...

This is for context - I would not make those statements. But understanding things this way, I think, helps you to understand that your intuition is good. (HR only...and ASK that they not divulge, becasue you do not want to be treated differently)

...

I WOULD add that you are making progress (if that is the case) and your intent and objective is to come back and be a productive employee.

Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

...

I’m just checking back in to see how things are going.

...

Did my answer help?

...

Let me know…

...

Thanks

Lane