Lev, Tax Preparer
Experience:  Personal Investment, Tax Preparation

My parents currently live in an assisted living facility and

Customer Question

My parents currently live in an assisted living facility and are private pay. My Mother may need nursing home care soon and would be applying for Medicaid to pay for it. My Father does not qualify medically for a nursing facility but needs the services of assisted living. I understand there are protections for spousal impoverishment of about $109,000. Does my Dad qualify for the spousal impoverishment protection as he will remain in the assisted living facility?
Category: Finance
Expert:  Lev replied 5 months ago.
Spousal Impoverishment Standards fro 2016 are set as followingCommunity Spouse Resources:Minimum Resource Standard: 23,844.00Maximum Resource Standard 119,220.00Home Equity Limits:Minimum: 552,000.00Maximum: 828,000.00
Expert:  Lev replied 4 months ago. the Medicaid spousal impoverishment provisions, a certain amount of the couple's combined resources is protected for the spouse living in the community. Depending on how much of his or her own income the community spouse actually has, a certain amount of income belonging to the spouse in the institution can also be set aside for the community spouse's use...I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all tax related issues.