Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
17027240

If an oil company had gross profit margins of 80% what would

Customer Question

If an oil company had gross profit margins of 80% what would the price of gas per gallon be? Same for other commodities? ie. If a beef company had 80% gross margins how much would a pound of ground beef be?
Gross profit margin is the difference between sales and the cost of goods sold divided by revenue.
Is there a basic formula to figure something like this out?
Category: Finance
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dave. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you. Yes, there is a basic formula. The formula would be: (Cost to the Company) divided by 20%. Thus, if the company's cost was $10, $10 divided by 20% would be $50. Thus the profit is $40 which is 80% of the sales price.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!