Andy4712
Andy4712, Accountant
Experience:  Business and accounting graduate.
17793914

I won an EEOC case and I have a osteoarthritis. Due to the harassment/Discrimination my ar

Customer Question

I won an EEOC case and I have a osteoarthritis. Due to the harassment/Discrimination my arthritis became so severe that it causes ulcers all over my body, head and legs. I needed a long term antibiotic and had to use IV medication to control the inflammation, pain, no sleep with also caused depression and anxiety. I had other symptoms as well from the harassment: high blood pressure that needed treatment, duodenal and gastric ulcers. I as well ruptured a disk in my back and was diagnosed with spinal stenosis and radiculopathy. I had to get a neurostimulator implanted on my spinal cord to control the pain. There were other physical symptoms of a personal nature.
The arthritis has caused neuropathy, lack of sleep due to the pain. The arthritis caused severe depresion and anxiety due to not being able to sleep due to the pain (1-2) hours sleep per night neuro tests show a marked change in neuro functioning forgetfulness, memory iss
Would this qualify for tax relief dut to physical inj
Category: Finance
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I won an EEOC case and I have a osteoarthritis. Due to the harassment/Discrimination my arthritis became so severe that it causes ulcers all over my body, head and legs. I needed a long term antibiotic and had to use IV medication to control the inflammation, pain and ulcers. The pain from the spinal stenosis, radiculopathy, neuropathy caused for me to have very little sleep this manifested into depression and anxiety.
I had other symptomsl from the harassment which were: high blood pressure that needed treatment, duodenal and gastric ulcers, frequent spinal injections to relieve the pain. I as well ruptured a disk in my back and was diagnosed with spinal stenosis and radiculopathy with left leg weakness. I had to get a neurostimulator implanted on my spinal cord to control the pain. There were other physical symptoms as well as the above mentioned.The arthritis has also caused neuropathy, lack of sleep due to the pain. The arthritis, pain lack of sleep caused severe depression and anxiety and was exacerbated by only getting (1-2) hours sleep per night. Other symptoms include forgetfulness, memory problems, falling due to weak left leg.Would this qualify for tax relief due to physical injury?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have years of documentation, doctor's notes etc.
Expert:  Andy4712 replied 9 months ago.
I would make the argument. I had a a case just like yours. The key words are:on account of personal physical injuries or physical sicknesshttps://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/104You may also want to get some assistance from the taxpayer advocate.
Expert:  Andy4712 replied 9 months ago.
Here is some more info:http://www.woodllp.com/Publications/Articles/pdf/IRS_allows_damages_exclusion_without_proof.pdf