Rakhi Vasavada
Rakhi Vasavada, Financial and Legal Consultant
Experience:  Graduated in law with Emphasis on Finance and have have been working in financial sector for over 12 Years

The reason that I asked my previous question is that the Private

Customer Question

The reason that I asked my previous question is that the Private Company sells its PREFERRED stock to investors at $60, and they gave an employee 100 options of common stock for $20, and they say that they have given him the equivalent of $4000. Is it correct?
Category: Finance
Expert:  Lane replied 6 months ago.
That takes us back to the very same issue ... What IS the underlying value of the company... The best way to value the company is to have an appraiser do it....Another indication of the value of EITHER common or preferred would be worth, when there is any activity in the stock, again, is what a disinterested (not having an ownership or other interest in the company) would pay for it....If there have not been any purchases of outstanding common stock from disinterested owners (not founders, not employees, but true third party owners) that is one anecdotal way to have a feel for the stock's value....But if a real valuation of the enterprise (based on it's earnings) has not been done, it's all conjecture