How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Finance
Satisfied Customers: 11356
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Finance Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dad past away in Nov. 2015. When he past me=y mom has had

Customer Question

My dad past away in Nov. 2015. When he past me=y mom has had alzhiemers for the past 3 years. I would have been his Power of Attorney if he had been unable to make his own decisions. My mother also had me down as her POA if something happened to my dad. My Question is: My mother receives Social Security and now it is more since my dad died. My dad told me that when her social security came in we just could not show more than $1000 in her account. So when her soc. sec. check came in he would take anything over the $1000 out and put it in his acct. First of all how much is she allowed to have showing and do I have to account for every dollar over what shows in her account being I am her POA?
Submitted: 12 months ago.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Lane replied 12 months ago.
Hi,...Can I get you to re-state the question? (I'm not sure I'm following) ...Are you asking about income for medicaid purposes? ...Thanks, I'll be here
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Yes, I am asking for Medicaid purposes. My brother is telling me that any money over the $1000 in her account has to be accounted for down to the penny. Or, Medicaid could come back and say I have to pay everything back from when she first received Medicaid.
Expert:  Lane replied 12 months ago.
There are two issues; income (income coming to her) and resources (the balance in accounts)...ALSO things may have changed under ACA if your state expanded medicaid...What state are you in?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I live in Holiday, FL
Expert:  Lane replied 12 months ago.
OK, Florida has NOT expanded, let me get the regs for you ... be right back
Expert:  Lane replied 12 months ago.
See this from Florida DCF (field agents for Medicaid in Florida) SSI fact sheet (SSI automatically qualifies older adults for Medicaid)
Expert:  Lane replied 12 months ago.
In Florida, Medicaid for low-income individuals who are either aged (65 or older) or disabled is called SSI-Related Medicaid.
Expert:  Lane replied 12 months ago.
Another important piece here, your mother very possibly qualifies for Hospice ... this can be a life-saver, can apply whether at home or not ... and DOES NOT mean that they are on deathbed ... Many times having trouble speaking can qualify
Expert:  Lane replied 12 months ago.
Heres' the full document:
Expert:  Lane replied 12 months ago.
Please let me know if you have any questions at all....If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the faces or stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit")...JustAnswer will not credit me for the time and work until you have rated in this way....Thank you!Lane……I hold a law degree (JD, Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, both for-profit and non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.