Lev, Tax Preparer
Experience:  Personal Investment, Tax Preparation

My wife and I are each on medicaid. we filed married seperately.

Customer Question

my wife and I are each on medicaid. we filed married seperately. i was employed for 7 months in 2015. my question is, every year prior, i have filed and itemized return to take business deductions. HR Block told me for 2015, since i was on medicaid, i cannot file an itemized return and just have to file a standard return. We live in NY. can i file itemized or not?
Category: Finance
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Lev replied 6 months ago.
There is no limitation to itemize regardless if you are on Medicaid or not...That might be misunderstanding.That is your choice - to itemize or not.However - if you are filing using MFS - married filing separate status - and if you itemize - your spouse would be required to itemize.But otherwise - you CAN itemize - that is your choice.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thank you. we filed already. can we revise our return and itemize this time?
Expert:  Lev replied 6 months ago.
Yes - that is possible - but in order to do so - you would need to amend your tax return using form 1040X.Use Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, to correct a previously filed individual income tax return. cannot file an amended tax return electronically under the e-file system.See Where To File in the Form 1040X Instructions for the address to mail your amended return. me kno wif you need any help.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
if we both singly file itemized return, then my wife loses her $6300 standard deduction. does that mean she will pay more in taxes if she itemizes? right now she is getting a refund of $6.00. I on the other hand owe $1800.00. and also, can we file married together instead of seperately if we are on medicaid? we were told no. that we had to file married seperately.
Expert:  Lev replied 6 months ago.
That is correct - if you are filing using "married filing separately" status - and if one spouse itemized - another ought to itemize.That is regardless if the amount of standard deduction is more or less than itemized deduction.You need to consider that when you decide whether to file a joint tax return or to file separate tax returns.From tax prospective - filing a joint tax return woudl be more beneficial in most situations.That is NOT related to your Medicaid eligibility which is based on your income and your assets and not on HOW your tax return was filed.Please communicate back to that person and verify - that might be some misunderstanding.