Shawn P Adamo
Shawn P Adamo, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience answering these questions.
Experience:  CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience answering these questions.
15641319

This question is health insurance expert. I'd like to know

Customer Question

This question is for a health insurance expert. I'd like to know the best option for health insurance for my brother - he's 25 but turning 26 near the end of April, is currently on my dad's University of Pittsburgh (UPMC) health insurance, and is on medical leave from law school because of a traumatic brain injury he suffered in December.
He's getting some rehab services through UPMC, but his rehab sessions are more limited than we'd like (~5 sessions occupational/speech/physical per week), so we're having him go to a private facility (ReMed) for additional rehab (additional 5-10 sessions per week). The private facility only takes Aetna insurance, so we are planning to pay out-of-pocket unless we can find a better solution.
Should my brother stay on my dad's insurance through COBRA, switch to Aetna's insurance, or look into another plan? And is the best way to go about this through a healthcare marketplace or directly to the insurance provider?
Thanks so much for your help.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Shawn P Adamo replied 8 months ago.
For the short term he should stay on COBRA. It will cost less for the next year than not staying
After that look at AETNA
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can you explain why it'll be cheaper for him in the short run to stay with COBRA? He'll likely only be with ReMed for 6 months to a year.

I'm sorry for the response being so late. The system is experiencing technology issues.

Normally COBRA would be less than the cost (total) than the ReMed cost (total). If you have the COBRA cost, multiply it by the months and there is your total. Then take the total number of ReMed sessions times their cost and that's the total to compare.