BK-CPA
BK-CPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Owner of a CPA firm
36384704

I am preparing cash forecasts related to the acquisition of

Customer Question

Hello, I am preparing cash forecasts related to the acquisition of a small business in Maryland. Financing for this will primarily come from a bank loan.
I'm looking for a method by which I can demonstrate Sources and Uses of bank proceeds and the impact those line items have on my Income Statement and/or Balance Sheet.
By what method can I tie together the cash forecasts and Sources and Uses whereby the bank can easily detect the Debt Coverage Ratio and the impact the infusion will have on the cash flow?
Thank you.
Category: Finance
Expert:  BK-CPA replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

The ratios will generally come from your forecasted financial statements. You can prepare multiple forecasts, each relecting a different scenario.

To do this, set up your base case forecast and then alter it according to whatever assumptions you wish to make. I usually will use Excel to produce forecasted financial statements.

A bank probably doesn't want you to give multiple forecasts when considering your loan request. It may not mind a range for things that are variable in nature, like forecasted sales amounts. Frankly, the bank wants you to have a concrete business plan and know what you're doing with the money before they give it to you. If you have multiple options to consider then you should do so on your own time, choose the best one, and give the bank a forecasted set of financial statements showing that course of action.

If you don't know how to prepare financial statements, I'm guessing you'll need help. Let me know if that is the case and maybe I can help you compile a set of financials.