TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Senior Advisor
Experience:  15 years of experience in financial advising with emphasis on tax issues.
14155347

I have a question about property taxes. we are in Illinois.

Customer Question

I have a question about property taxes. we are in Illinois. My mother died right after she paid the first installment of 2014 property taxes. While the estate was being settled(has not yet been finished.) I paid the second installment. This might be a moot point If I don't itemize but can I put the first installment on her taxes for last year and put the second installment on my taxes. Also my mother employed my brother as a care giver until she died in feb 2015. He got unemployment but I supported him for the rest of the year. Can I declare him as a dependent?
Category: Finance
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 9 months ago.

Hello

You can only claim the interest if you were required by the lender to pay it and you had an ownership interest in the home.

If your brother received more than $4000 in 2015 you would not be allowed to claim him. Your relative cannot have a gross income of more than $4,000 and be claimed by you as a dependent.

I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate it when you take the extra time!
When you actively click on a rating and click submit, that lets Just Answer know you were assisted and credits me for the time.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

The property tax is a tax paid to the cook county treasurer on the home. It is not interest.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 9 months ago.

I am so sorry. The taxes paid are the same as interest on your property. The tax must be imposed on you

for your property. The tax invoice would have needed to be in your name for you personally to be allowed the deduction.

The estate can claim for taxes paid even though paid by you. Perhaps the state can reimburse you.