Rakhi Vasavada
Rakhi Vasavada, Financial and Legal Consultant
Experience:  Graduated in law with Emphasis on Finance and have have been working in financial sector for over 12 Years
43581946

Trying to refinance my house that I assumed the loan from my

Customer Question

Trying to refinance my house that I assumed the loan from my parents in 2004 and subsequently refinanced in 2006. Both my wife and I are the only parties on the title. My mother has a debt to the U.S. Government who placed a lien on my property in 2002 before I bought it. What is my course of action to get this lien removed? It cleared title twice without anyone notifying me of the lien. I called the U.S. Attorney office and they have no interest in helping other than getting the debt paid. However the debt is not mine.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Jason M. Tyra, CPA replied 1 year ago.

Hi Michael:

In short, the lien should have halted the transfer of the property but did not for some reason. If the former owner was someone other than your mother (whom I assume you don't want to sue), you might have some recourse that would help you to roll back the sale or otherwise abandon the property. This kind of situation is what title insurance is supposed to cover.

Since the former owner is a family member, there's probably not a lot you can do unless or until the lien is cleared.