Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Financial Expert
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
30050794

Ms. Gates...I closed my 401K when I lost my job, paid the

Customer Question

Ms. Gates...I closed my 401K when I lost my job, paid the 20% before receiving my net. I am in the process of doing my taxes and have included the 1099.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Why is it that I'm being shown I owe additional 10K
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Financial Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 10 months ago.

The 20% withholding is just the minimum required withholding amount on 401k distributions; it doesn't represent what you will actually owe on the distribution; that can not be determined without all of your income tax information which would either come with a detailed tax planning session or when you actually prepare your return.

Do you qualify for an exception to the 10% early withdrawal penalty, or has that been figured into the amount you owe?

Just Checking In.......I see that you have seen my response; are you having any trouble with the rating system?

Do you have any questions, or may I assist your further with your question?

If not, please remember to rate my response as that is the only way we receive credit for our work.

Thanks very much.

If you'd like to reach me again here at JustAnswer.com, just ask for "Steve G." at the beginning of your tax or financial question.

Expert:  Stephen G. replied 9 months ago.

Questions?