Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
17027240

Are the transfer taxes shown on real estate settlement

Customer Question

Are the transfer taxes shown on real estate settlement statement taxable or deductible (as the
case may be.?)
Category: Finance
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

Good evening. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

Pursuant to IRS Publication, real estate transfer taxes and deed stamps are not deductible on your Schedule A if this is the sale of your primary residence or investment property. If this is rental property, these would be deductible. . https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc503.html . But, to the extent the seller pays the these taxes, they can be offset against the selling price to determine gain on sale. And, to the extent paid by buyer, they can be added to the buyer's basis.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!