Rakhi Vasavada
Rakhi Vasavada, Financial and Legal Consultant
Experience:  Graduated in law with Emphasis on Finance and have have been working in financial sector for over 12 Years
43581946

We have taken over several franchisor accounts to do an

Customer Question

we have taken over several franchisor accounts to do an audit. the previous audfitors capitalized the initial FDD (the franchisor package) and left it on the balance sheet expensing or amortizxing since thery considered a long life ass with an undeterminable life. please advise if we just leave sit or require some wrteoff or amortiaztion or restatement. ther is no impairment.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Rakhi Vasavada replied 10 months ago.

Dear Friend,

Hello and welcome. Thank you for providing an opportunity to assist you.

Under accounting rules, certain expenses can be capitalized -- or recorded as an asset on a company's balance sheet -- while others must be expensed immediately. The logic is that spending that results in future benefits over multiple years shouldn't be expensed right away. Examples would include buying a factory, upgrading equipment or acquiring multiyear franchise rights, the effects of which will be felt for years to come.

Having said this, The same rules of capitalization and amortization apply to franchise rights. Since most franchise agreements span multiple years, they usually qualify for capitalization. Thus, a $100,000 payment to run a restaurant franchise for five years would be capitalized as a long-term asset.

FROM WHAT I understand from the situation, just see if the franchisor package / agreement mention the TERM of a franchisee. If yes, then you will have to amortize it for that number of years dividing it in equal numbers.

If this is not the case, then you just leave sit on it if no tenure / useful life is expressly defined.

I am sure this would help.

You may please leave a positive rating if this helps as this is the only way we are compensated for assisting you. Alternatively, you may revert back with a reply if you need further assistance or if I have missed out on any aspect of your question.

Warm Regards,