Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

If a spouse who is eligible home admission and all property

Customer Question

If a spouse who is eligible for nursing home admission and all property has been in the other spouses name for over 8 years and they are still married, will Medicaid go after the surviving spouses assets? Iowa law states that the married couple each own half of the assets.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Lane replied 10 months ago.

...

I hold a JD (Juris Doctorate, a doctoral degree in the law), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial & tax advice since 1986.

...

I can help you here

...

IOWA in their administration of Medicaid uses the concept of "community Spouse," and exempts certain assets so that the community spouse (the spouse still in the community and not in a skilled nursing facility) is not impoverished because of the needs of the other spouse.

...

Here are the key numbers for Iowa, for 2016:

...

Community Spouse Resource Allowance (CSRA): Minimum: $24,000 ...Maximum: one-half of countable assets up to $119,220

...

Annuities: Actuarially sound annuities are permitted. (meaning essentially any insurance Company facilitate annuity) and that they are not counted as available for Medicaid purposes.

...

Monthly Maintenance Needs Allowance:Minimum: $2,980.50
Maximum: $2,980.50 (can be increased for "exceptional circumstances resulting in significant financial duress")

...

These are all protections built into the Medicaid Law to protect the healthy spouse.

...

you should know that there IS a home equity limit:

...

The state Medicaid program will not cover long-term care services for those with home equity above this limit, with certain exceptions.$552,000

...

So the answer to your question is generally NO .. but there are some limits

Expert:  Lane replied 10 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all

...

If this HAS helped, (and you don’t have additional questions on this), I'd really appreciate your positive rating … (by using the stars or rating request on your screen) … … That’s the only way I'll be credited a portion of what you've paid JustAnswer.

...

Thank you,

Lane

Expert:  Lane replied 10 months ago.

...

I’m just checking back in to see how things are going.

...

Did my answer help?

...

Let me know…

...

Thanks

Lane